– Nasir Afroze(Student-IIT B.H.U)
“For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.”
After the spring semester (JAN-APRIL) there is a summer break of around 10 weeks. Students have the opportunity to do many things during this time. This time can be best utilized to accelerate career growth by pursuing an internship. An internship is an enriching experience.
Here are just a few reasons why this “experience “ can be a differentiator for your career.
1) Real world exposure: Joining a company/research institute as an intern gives you the opportunity to get the feel of “working professional or a researcher in the real world ”.During your tenure as an intern, you may feel like the work assigned to you is “menial”.But it’s not the case always, they do add up to your skill and knowledge. Internships help to gather more information about the career path you are pursuing.
2) Networking: Having a well-established network has become an important part of our lives. Today, studies have shown that up to 80% of jobs are never advertised – they are filled by word of mouth. So it’s who you know and who knows you that matters. Internships often give you the opportunity to attend meetings and events, hence the opportunity to “network”. By interacting with professionals you learn the art of “effective communication”.
3) Resume Builder: For a college student the importance of strong resume is immense. A solid resume is a must for this strong resume you need to have experience.Internships are key to building experience as a student or recent graduate. Employers are much more likely to hire someone with internships and work experience.
4) Time Management: An intern eventually becomes good at time management.TIme is the most valuable asset that anybody has and professional environment makes sure it is valued well. Time management is vital in every circumstance whether you’re attending meetings, finishing tasks on deadlines, or anything else.
5) Career Foundation: Internships serves as a foundation for your future career. While choosing and applying for an intern one should keep in mind the broader career goals. The best thing that an internship can offer other than the learning experience is PPI (pre-placement internship) or PPO(pre-placement offer)
The world is there for you to conquer you just have to step out of your comfort zone!