Founded in 1973, IIM B was the third IIM to be established, after IIM Calcutta and IIM Ahmedabad.
IIM B’s logo carries a proclamation in Sanskrit, तेजस्वि नावधीतमस्तु (tejasvi navadhitamastu), which translates as ‘let our study be enlightening’. Our vision is to be a global, renowned academic institution fostering excellence in management, innovation and entrepreneurship for business, government and society.
About the Ph.D. Programme
The doctoral programme of the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) leading to a PhD is recognized as a rigorous research programme in various areas of business management and public policy. The doctoral programme is committed to training individuals to excel in their chosen areas of research and produce publication-quality work of international standards.
The mission is to:
- Provide rigorous, world-class, inter-disciplinary training in all areas of business management and public policy that will equip students with the ability to conduct cutting-edge, publication-quality research of international standard.
- Contribute to the creation and transmission of knowledge in all areas of business management and public policy with emphasis on issues faced by firms and organizations in India.
- Contribute to the efforts of IIMB faculty in the creation, transmission, communication, and application of knowledge in all areas of business management and public policy.
- Help meet the teaching and research manpower needs of academia and industry by producing highly skilled individuals with exceptional analytical ability and training in conducting specialized research.
Specialization/ Areas (10 Areas)
- Decision Sciences
- Economics & Social Sciences
- Finance & Accounting
- Information Systems
- Organizational Behaviour & Human Resources Management
- Production & Operations Management
- Public Policy
Candidates should have
• A Master’s Degree (bachelor’s degree obtained in 10+2+3 pattern, followed by a master’s degree )
- A 5 year Integrated Master’s Degree (obtained after completing higher secondary schooling in 10+2 pattern) in any discipline, with at least 55* # percent marks in the bachelor’s as well in the master’s degrees.
- A professional qualification like CA, ICWA, CS, with at least 50* # percent marks
- A 4 year / 8 semesters Bachelor’s degree (10+2+4 pattern) with at least 6.5 CGPA or equivalent marks.
Candidates require a valid test score, from any one of the acceptable tests to the area(s) of specialization they are applying to, as shown in the following table.
|Specialization/ Area||Test Score|
|Decision Sciences||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, JRF (NET), IIMB Test|
|Economics & Social Sciences||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, IIMB Test|
|Entrepreneurship||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, IIMB Test|
|Finance & Accounting||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, JRF (NET)|
|Information Systems||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, IIMB Test, JRF (NET)|
|Marketing||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, IIMB Test|
|Organizational Behaviour & Human Resources Management||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, JRF (NET)|
|Production & Operations Management||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, JRF (NET), IIMB Test|
|Public Policy||GMAT, GRE, CAT, GATE, JRF (NET), IIMB Test|
|Strategy||GMAT, GRE, CAT, IIMB Test|
For more details visit:
- No Tuition Fees
|Year/ Stage||Stipend Amount (in Rupees) per month|
|After clearing the comprehensive exam||37000|
|Thesis Proposal Approval by the Thesis Advisory Committee||40000|
- additional financial support is available through the following
|Startup grant (in year 1)||Rs. 75000||purchasing research work related hardware and software|
|Contingency grant (annual, in years 2-5)||Rs. 25000||purchasing hardware, software, books and for meeting photocopying expenses.|
- Support for Fieldwork
- Support to attend International Conference/Workshop
- National Conference grants of up to Rs. 20,000 each towards accepted papers for three conferences for which prior approval needed.
- International Conference grants of up to Rs.1,50,000 each towards a first accepted paper, and up to Rs. 75,000 each for subsequent conferences for which prior approval needed.
- Accommodation ( non-residential subsidy) to Students who are not provided accommodation in the hostel
|Status||Amount (per month)|
For further details please visit IIM B website: