SCI & SSCI are the commercial citation indexing products of Clarivate Analytics. The Clarivate Analytics was known as “Thomson Reuters” formally. But, later it was maintained by Clarivate Analytics to provide a comprehensive citation search of all the indexing lists. It also provides subscription-based services which mainly focus on analytics, including scientific and academic research, patent intelligence, pharmaceutical and biotech trademark, domain and brand protection.
There are many products of Clarivate Analytics and here, the Web of Science is one of them…..
Web of Science (WoS) is an online subscription-based Scientific Citation Indexing (SCI) service originally produced by the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI) during 1964. The web of science is a service provider which maintains the categories and indexing of the Journal lists, which are further affiliated to Clarivate analytics.
There are mainly 6 index lists, known as the Web of Science Core Collections. Now, we are going to discuss in detail the two popular Index lists, named SCI (Science Citation Index) & SCIE (Science Citation Index Expanded):
- Science Citation Index- SCI: SCI is a citation index originally produced by the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI), which is created by Eugene Garfield in 1964.
- There is a larger version of SCI known as (Science Citation Index Expanded-SCIE). It covers more than 9,200 notable and significant journals, across 178 disciplines, from 1900 to the present.
- SCI mainly contains journals from the under-listed disciplines:
- Food Science
- Computer Sciences etc.
- SCI is alternatively described as the world’s leading journals of science and technology. It is involved indirectly in the rigorous selection process.
Social Science Citation Index is a commercial citation index product of Clarivate Analytics. It was originally developed by the Institute for Scientific Information from the Science Citation Index.
- The Social Sciences Citation Index is a multidisciplinary index and indexes over 3,000 social sciences journals across more than 50 disciplines from 1988 to the present.
- SSCI mainly contains journals from the under-listed disciplines
- Management Sciences
- Political Science
- Social History etc.
To conclude, these two index lists have indexed journals from different disciplines. These are really helpful for the researchers and academic scholars, as it helps them to understand more clearly, as to which journal ranks at a higher position and which journal should be preferred for posting their articles.
For more information, visit this: https://mjl.clarivate.com/home