To create knowledge you need to work on the edges | Prof. Shaphali Gupta | MICA Ahmedabad
In conversation with Prof. (Dr.) Shaphali Gupta.
An academician, marketer, and researcher to the core Dr. Shaphali Gupta is currently associated with MICA Ahmedabad as a Professor of Marketing.
The results of her indomitable quest to create knowledge are reflected through these awards. She received the first prize and begged the B K Birla distinguished research scholar award for social science and management 2019.
Her paper ‘Customer Engagement in Service’ published in the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science was nominated for the Sheth Foundation Best Paper Award.
She has published her research in top-tier marketing journals (which includes AMA journals, FT 50, A* and A listed journals) such as the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Advertising, and Journal of International Marketing.
She had been a Research Fellow at Georgia State University, Center for Excellence in Brand and Customer Management, J. Mack Robinson College of Business for three years. She has obtained her Ph.D. from the Shailesh J Mehta School of Management, IIT Bombay, India; a Master’s degree in Business Management with Marketing specialization; and a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics.
Awards and Honors:
- B.K Birla Distinguished Research Scholar Awards for Social Science and Management 2019, in the First Position, this award is to recognize the quality research in the field of social sciences and management across the nation. This award was conferred only for FT 50 and ABS 4*, and ABDC A* publications with consistent records over the last five years.
- Invited as a plenary keynote speaker at Technology, Economics, Analytics & Management Conference 2020 by Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development held from 18th to 22nd August 2020.
- Invited as thought leader to attend “Thought Leadership Conference on Global Marketing Strategy” hosted by ISB Hyderabad July 30 to Aug. 1, 2020.
- Invited Speaker, IIM Indore-NASMEI Summer Marketing Information System Conference, Indore, July 2019.
- Invited as a Thought Leader to attend an invitation-based conference on “Big Data, Data-Driven CRM and Artificial Intelligence” organized by Journal of Interactive Marketing, at Lisbon, March 2019. Only Indian Faculty to be invited.
- Faculty Fellow, AIM-AMA Sheth Doctoral Consortium, MICA, Ahmedabad, 2019.
- Faculty Scholar, AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium, Leeds University, U.K, 2018. Only Indian Faculty to be invited.
- Invited Speaker, two-day Symposium on Customer Engagement for industry organized by ISB, Hyderabad, July 2017.
- Appointed as a Research Fellow, Center for Excellence in Brand and Customer Management, Robinson College of Business, Georgia State University, 2017 onwards.
- Faculty Fellow, AIM-AMA Sheth Doctoral Consortium, WE School, Bangalore, 2018.
- Faculty Fellow, AIM-AMA Sheth Doctoral Consortium, WE School, Mumbai 2017.
- Invited Scholar to attend ‘World Marketing Summit’ 2016 held at Tokyo, Japan. Only Indian faculty to be invited based on my future of Advertising publication.
- Faculty Fellow, AIM-AMA Sheth Doctoral Consortium, IMT Ghaziabad, 2016.
- Young Faculty Participant at AIM-AMA Sheth Doctoral Consortium, 2015, held at IMT Dubai, UAE. Complete travel grant was provided by AIM-AMA Sheth foundation.
- Gold Medallist (PAN India), Diploma of Training and Development, 2011, ISTD, recognized by Ministry of HRD
- Doctoral Consortium Fellow by SJMSOM, IIT Bombay, to attend AIM-AMA Sheth Doctoral consortium, held at IIM Ahmedabad, January, 2014.
- Doctoral Consortium Fellow by SJMSOM, IIT Bombay, to attend AIM- AMA Sheth Doctoral Consortium, held at Alliance University, Bangalore, 2012.
- Gold Medal, Dip T&D, ISTD, Ministry of HRD, New Delhi, 2011
- Best student Award Overall, Dip T&D, ISTD, Ministry of HRD, New Delhi, 2011.
- Eligible candidate for Shailesh J. Mehta Endowment Scholarship for Excellence in Doctoral Studies, 2007.
- First rank in “BOOK REVIEW” during the Faculty Training programme at IBS, Hyderabad, 2005.
- First rank in “OPERATION WORKOUT” during faculty development workshop at ICFAI Business School, Jaipur, 2005.
- First rank in “Conducting Case Class” during workshop at Pune University, 2007.
- First rank, Secondary School Board Examination.
Areas of Research:
- Marketing Strategy
- Global Marketing Strategy
- Emerging Market Strategies
- Customer Engagement Marketing
- Customer Relationship Marketing
- Innovation and Technology
- Role of Analytics and New age technologies in Retailing
- Linking technological innovation to customer Engagement
- Digital innovation and Marketing
- New-age technology and SMEs
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Kumar, V., Ashish Sood, Shaphali Gupta and Nitish Sood (2020), “Prevention vs. Promotion-Focus Regulatory Efforts on the Disease Incidence and Mortality of COVID-19: A Multinational Diffusion Study using Functional Data Analysis”, Journal of International Marketing, Forthcoming.
- Gupta Shaphali, Agata Leszkiewicz, V Kumar,Tammo Bijmolt, Dmitriy Potapov (2020), “Digital analytics: Modelling for insights and new methods”, Journal of Interactive Marketing.
- Gupta Shaphali, V. Kumar and Esraa Karam (2019), “Role of New Age Technology in Social Innovation”, Industrial Marketing Management
- Malodia Suresh, Shaphali Gupta and Anand jaiswal (2019), “Conceptualizing Reverse Innovation”, Journal of Academy of Marketing Science
- Gupta, Shaphali. “Understanding the feasibility and value of grassroots innovation.” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (2019): 1-25.
- Kumar, V., Bharath Rajan, Shaphali Gupta and Illaria Dalla Pozza (2019), “Customer Engagement in Service, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 47(1), 138-160.
- Gupta Shaphali., Anita Pansari and, Kumar, V (2018), “Global Customer Engagement”, Journal of International Marketing, 26(1), 4-29.
- Kumar, V., Amalesh Sharma and Shaphali Gupta (2017), “Assessing the Influence of Marketing Strategy Research on Generating Impact: Moderating roles of Models, Journals and Estimation Approaches”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 45 (2), 164-185.
- Kumar, V. and Shaphali Gupta. (2016), “Conceptualizing the evolution and Future of Advertising”, Journal of Advertising, 45(3), 302-317.
- Gupta, Shaphali (2015), “Effect of Shopping Value on Service Convenience, Satisfaction and Customer loyalty: A conceptual framework”, SAMVAD, December, 10(2).
- Gupta, Shaphali and Dinesh Sharma (2014), “Dimensions of Retail Service Convenience in Emerging Market Settings- A Qualitative Investigation”, Journal of Services Research, April – Sept, 14(1).
- Gupta, Shaphali and Dinesh Sharma (2014), “An Integrative Perspective on Service Convenience”. Management Reflection, Jul-Dec, 1(2), 26-37.
- Gupta, Shaphali and Dinesh Sharma (2017), “Dimensions of Retail Service Convenience in Emerging Market Settings- A Qualitative Investigation”, book titled, Creating Memorable Customer Experiences-Insights From Hospitality Sector, by Apple Press, USA.
- Gupta, Shaphali (2011), “Role of Emotional Intelligence in Team Effectiveness”, Reinventing HR in Coming Decades. Excel Books. 144-157.
- Gupta, Shaphali (2015), “Effect of Shopping Value on Service Convenience, Satisfaction and Customer loyalty: A conceptual framework”, SAMVAD, December, 10(2). Sage Publication
- Gupta, Shaphali and Dinesh Sharma (2014), “Dimensions of Retail Service Convenience in Emerging Market Settings- A Qualitative Investigation”, Journal of Services Research, April – Sept, 14(1). ABDC-C